By Darius Harris, Stride Career Prep Success Coach
Work-at-home opportunities aren’t just on the rise for adults. The pandemic has forced companies and the workforce in general to find other ways to work outside the traditional office environment so if you are a high school student looking for a summer job or internshipconsider remote opportunities to increase your options. The key is to know how to find these opportunities.
Target specific companies. Each year, FlexJobs compiles a list of top 100 companies that offer work-from-home opportunities.
Network. After identifying companies of interest, network with people who work remotely and schedule a time to speak with them to get tips about how you may work for the company.
Use a variety of search terms. Remote opportunities are on the rise and there a variety of search terms you can use on job boards to identify opportunities such as:
- Work at Home or Work from Home
- Telecommute or Telecommuting
- Virtual or Remote
- Freelance or Consulting
Visit jobsites specific to remote opportunities. Some sites to consider include:
- FlexJobs - FlexJobs is a professional job service to help you find the best flexible jobs available, safely and easily.
- Upwork - Upwork, formerly Elance-oDesk, is an American freelancing platform where enterprises and individuals connect in order to conduct business. I
- We Work Remotely – A great place to find and list jobs that aren’t restricted by commutes or a particular geographic area.
- PowertoFly – Specifically for women. Offers in office, flexible, and remote opportunities.
Consider positions that are not remote but may have the opportunity for flexible scheduling and/or remote options after you have established yourself as a trusted employee. One more tip, if you only express interest in a position because it is remote, chances are you won’t get the job. You must show that you are a good fit for the organization and the job first.
To get started on your new job search, check out our Stride Career Services hub here. Check back often as we’ll be adding new content, templates, and programs regularly!
And, if you are already a Career Prep student, did you know you can get up to 5 free 1:1 coaching sessions with a Stride Career Prep Success Coach? Visit here to learn more.
If you aren’t a Career Prep student, that’s ok, you can still get access to live coaching weekly on Wednesdays at 1pm Eastern on Instagram, follow us for updates and more career tips!